Caper Berry Gravy

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Quick dinner: Chicken with Tomato and Bocconcini

Inspired by a Karen Martini recipe for chicken with tomato and bocconicini, I threw this together for dinner. The only work was chopping up the ingredients and it was super quick to cook. If you're really out of time, just use the straight recipe!

Here is the original recipe:

Karen Martini's Pan-fried chicken with tomato and bocconcini
4 Chicken breast fillets, trimmed
1 Tbl Olive oil
1 Brown onion, sliced
1 clove Garlic, crushed
1 large Red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
400g can Chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup Chicken stock
4 Bocconcini, halved
1 cup Basil leaves

1) Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over high heat.
2) Brush the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with sat and pepper. Cook for 2-3 mins.
3) Add the onion, garlic, chilli, tomatoes and stock, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 mins.
4) Add the bocconcini and cook, covered for 1 minute.
5) Place the chicken on serving plates, spoon over the sauce and top with the basil.
Serves 4

My variation:
1) I used 3 chicken breasts (they came in threes!) so cut up the chicken and compensated with extra veggies. Next time, I'd use thigh meat as the breast meat was a little tough.
2) I added in a sliced eggplant* and instead of chilli, used chopped up red capsicum*. I suppose you can always add some chilli flakes for a kick but I didn't feel like anything spicy. I thought the capsicum added a little more sweetness to the tomato sauce.
3) I also used smaller bocconcini which was interesting as it melted slightly and it was almost like eating liquid pizza. That sounds really off but tasted really delicious!
4) I forgot to buy the basil but I don't think I would have added it anyway. It was tasty enough and I tend to associate basil with just tomato and bocconcini on their own.

*aubergine, bell pepper



Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8/03/2006 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Niki said…

    Mmmm - liquid pizza! Basil's so expensive at the moment anyway - best leave it for summer.
    I agree with you about using chicken thighs in stewed dishes and curries etc. Breasts just get really dry and stringy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home