Caper Berry Gravy

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Dinner Plan: Dinner by JD

Well there's a lot of reading and blogging today. I have to work - from home - and as I'm waiting for updates from various people, I'm filling time in because I'm stuck at home!

It appears that once people realise that you keep a food blog, the expectation is that you will place high standards on all meals... even those prepared by friends! JD invited us over to his house and apparently there was panic about making everything perfect - although I think he's already a great cook anyway!


So I present to you "Dinner by JD" and suggestions of where similar recipes can be found.

Spiced pumpkin and coconut soup:
How's that for presentation? This recipe is a good start.

Steak and Horseradish Sauce, served with Potato Rosti:

I love horseradish. I haven't used this recipe but found it in Cook's Companion - ingredients are in an alphabetical listing, fortunately when I looked up "H" I didn't find horse. :) This is a wonderful recipe and reference book; I have given copies out as birthday and wedding presents. For my birthday, the lovely T bought me "Cooking & Travelling in South-West France" which is also by Stephanie Alexander. (And when I'm not so busy, I'll cook something from it!)

As it contains dill, I'd say that ideally this goes with fish. Maybe I'll experiment with other herbs for other meats and let you know.

Simple Horseradish Sauce
1 Tbl Creamed horseradish sauce*
2 Tbl Dill seeds
2 Tbl Finely chopped fresh dill leaves
120ml Sour cream

Stir all ingredients together and refrigerate until required. Makes 1/2 cup.

*If you have fresh horseradish, grate it and mix it with whipped cream and a little white-wine vinegar.

Nigella's Chocolate Cloud Cake:
Recipe can be found at Niki's. I loved this variation, the cake was served with a dark chocolate sauce and orange pieces soaked in cointreau.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 7/31/2006 11:15:00 PM, Blogger Niki said…

    Geez - everything looks incredible, especially that steak!! I know what you mean about people expecting you to have suddenly higher standards just because you blog about food...

     
  • At 8/16/2006 01:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am soooo with you. My friends seem paranoid to cook for me. I don't know why!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home