Caper Berry Gravy

Friday, July 07, 2006

Dominique Portet

Sam complained about the disappointing Australian rosé recommended to her when she couldn't find a French rosé. That reminded me of a lovely rosé I found... made by a Frenchman in Australia!

I had a friend from Ireland visiting and she had never been to a winery before so I decided to take her to the Yarra Valley. My friend wanted to try some dessert wines and someone suggested "Dominique's up the road" so off we went to Dominique Portet.

Now I'm not a big rosé drinker (too many bad lolly water versions) however I tasted the Fontaine Rosé and hmmm I could drink it again! Unfortunately I didn't take notes so I can't provide you with a lovely description but the winemaker notes "The colour is crucial: subtle rose-gold - “Something inviting rather than obvious”. The palate is filled with elusive flavours of raspberry and guava, with a long savoury finish." I did take away a bottle or two so I'll sample and take notes at a later date! ;-) The winery also had a selection of cute French themed tableware for sale - good gifts!

Dominique Portet
870 Maroondah Hwy
Coldstream


Whilst we were in the Yarra Valley, we also lunched at the Yarra Valley Dairy - lunch being a cheese platter because the cafe is no longer. So if you're planning a day in the Valley, drop by even if it's to purchase something for home. Their Persian Fetta is brilliant crumbled over roasted pumpkin and pasta. Look up the map (Melways) it's too hard to describe how to get there!

Yarra Valley Dairy
McMeikans Road
Yering
(Melways ref: 275 C9)

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 7/07/2006 01:52:00 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    savoury flavour definitely sounds like an improvement over strawberries and cream on the finish. I will have to see if we can get one here. At my regular wine shop they have a farmorecomprehensive selection of rose wines.

    Thanks for the tip!

    sam

     
  • At 7/07/2006 09:54:00 AM, Blogger lazy cow said…

    I LOVE the Yarra Valley Dairy. No cafe, damn!? I was planning a girls' lunch there soon.

     
  • At 7/07/2006 07:35:00 PM, Blogger Belinda said…

    Sam - Good luck with the search!

    Lazy cow - I know, everyone goes on about the cafe. (Well, the cafe is there in the form of a coffee bar and fridge for platters.) But if it's a sunny day, it is a lovely day out anyway!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home