Caper Berry Gravy

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Builders Arms Hotel


I added back my Somerset Rarebit post with recipe.

But I bring you the Builders Arms Hotel...

The outside is deceiving; you think you're just going into a pub that has live music nights, but out the back is a sleek room of black and white wallpaper, red banquettes, a mirrored wall and funky flower lights as per the picture. (The same light fittings as Lounge Downstairs - the old Viz - on Swanston St!) This is a vibrant place to meet friends for a well-priced meal out. The dishes that dominate seem to me to be fusion Moroccan; not pub "parma and a pint" cuisine but you're not here for complicated flavours and new offerings either.

The above picture is of the chorizo salad. I didn't actually have it so I can't tell you how it tasted but I was told "fantastic so take a photo"! I did have the herb crusted veal which was just right - ie not soggy in the sauce - and it came with the most amazing pumpkin mash as an accompaniment. It's only pumpkin you say, but it was oh so sweet and creamy. From memory, the wine selection featured a few French entries but it was mostly Australian and a good selection. You won't break the bank for a great night out!

Builders Arms Hotel
211 Gertrude St
Fitzroy
(03) 9419 0818


Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 4/18/2006 09:58:00 AM, Blogger Ange said…

    I used to go to the Builders Arms every weekend to party, will have to revisit & see what the new kitchen is like

     
  • At 4/18/2006 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Belinda said…

    It's weird walking through and then seeing the retro fittings and all the gloss!

     
  • At 5/07/2006 03:53:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hey there,

    I used to hang out at Builders Arms all the time! I had no idea they had food too.

    Mmm... yummy.

    xox Sarah

     

Post a Comment

<< Home