Caper Berry Gravy

Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Lure of Supermarkets

My friend, Niki was looking for Chocopies in Melbourne. Knowing that Lotte is a Korean brand, I knew that I'd seen them in a Korean supermarket that I'd discovered. I'd also seen Chocopies, and variations of the treat, in Asian supermarkets so told Niki that I'd check next time I walked past one. (Plenty in the city.)

I went into Green Mart which stocks only Korean products and yes, Chocopies were definitely there! There are also some really good ice-creams in Green Mart; the Japanese and Koreans seem to like ice-creams that come in a biscuit/waffle case and I love that they come in interesting shapes like a shell, a fish or even a sweet potato!

Not knowing any Korean, it's fun guessing what's in the various packets. On this day, I also bought some "Alive" candy - ummm not sure why it's alive that's what was on the shelf label and there is not a word of English on the packet! (There are 3 flavours: banana, peach and strawberry and are basically chewy sweets with a gooey inside. Definitely nothing moving.)

I remember being in Tokyo and being absolutely fascinated by the supermarkets because there was all this new stuff to look at and taste. So, check this place out!

Green Mart
Shop 2/ 222 LaTrobe St, Melbourne

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 1/23/2006 05:22:00 PM, Blogger Niki said…

    Ooooh, but the packet is different! They probably just have different packaging for Japan (with Japanese writing) but I guess they'd taste the same....

     
  • At 1/23/2006 07:10:00 PM, Blogger Belinda said…

    I'll have to give you some to taste! I saw another box which was an orange colour, maybe that's the Japanese one!

     
  • At 3/23/2007 12:24:00 PM, Blogger jkk said…

    Wow this is a discover. Thank you. You need to taste Orion brand Chocopie. There are many different Chocopie brands, but none come close to Orion in taste. Orion Chocopie is da best.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home